A week ago, I was driving to my Uncle's when I passed a man holding a sign that said, "Hungry".
I had nothing to give him.
I went back later, imagining handing him the money he was asking for and what I would say and this is what I came up with:
"Christ came for you."
Because He did. He didn't come to save the saved, He came to minister to the lost, the hopeless, the broken, the unloved.
If I let a Christmas pass without loving those same people, then I've missed the point.
I've always sat on the fence about Santa. We never had him in our house and I've never cared if other people did, but as I get older and in-laws try repeatedly to force me to include him I find myself thinking a lot about that particular tradition and lately, I've noticed a glaring hole. In many movies and stories, Santa delivers gifts to every child on earth, but we adults know this isn't true. Santa comes, for the most part, to those who can afford him.
Where does that leave the others?
One movie was talking about the "naughty list" and I wondered if children who found themselves without gifts on Christmas morning thought that perhaps they weren't deserving.
I guess my biggest problem with Santa is that he's a once-a-year imaginary gift man, whereas Christ is a real, everyday promise, the greatest gift that's ever been given.
And His gift is for everyone, whether you can afford it and are deserving, or not.
5 comments:
Yes!
I liked Santa and didn't really need it to be logical.
But I absolutely agree that Christ's love is for everyone. I hope the man found a meal.
Well said - thanks for giving me something else to think about tonight! Hope you are well!
We did santa growing up and my kids are really into him this year.
we don't leave jesus out of it though. i love that he's love for everyone too!
Waaaay late commenting...
My children have never had 'Santa'... mostly because I was one of those kids Santa didn't come for.
I'm sad when I think of the child who thinks they weren't good enough for Santa to bring them a gift.
God brings love though and we always have that. So my kids get all the love I can give them, a few gifts, and a little lesson on the world out there...
I don't preach, but I do share... they are great to understand that we have, but others need and we should share.
Post a Comment